The fire danger period began on Monday the 14th of December so Sunbury residents are being warned that burn-offs and open fires are now prohibited.
Story continues below…
Here are some things you can do to prepare for this season.
- Have a plan (or two). Decide in advance whether you’ll stay or leave. Make a backup plan in case the first one fails. Make sure the whole family knows what the plans are.
- Prepare your home. If you decide to stay, make sure you are prepared to protect your home, your family and yourself.
- Pack a bag. If you decide you’ll leave, pack a bag of essentials, including important documents, by the door.
- Protect your house. Clean your gutters, mow your lawn and trim your bushes. Make sure there are no flammable items around your yard.
- Don’t drive across dry grass. The heat from your exhaust can spark a fire.
- Check out the CFA website for more information.
Bushfires came a little close to home during the last fire danger period but together we can keep Sunbury safe!